"Reloaded"



Some spectacular vistas of New Zealand

Some spectacular vistas of New Zealand
These are just a tiny sample of the views I experienced during my last visit to New Zealand in late December '05 and January '06. So it is easy to see why I am drawn back to this beautiful country ...

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mother Nature Goes Naked

Tuesday, February 20th

White Island is New Zealand's only active marine volcano. It is constantly creating ever changing hissing fumaroles that spew-up eerie steam and acrid pungent gasses into the atmosphere; all surrounded by bright yellow sulphur deposits and bubbling mud.

I am determined to get up close - to see and feel Mother Nature’s awesome power at first hand.


0:915am - Embarkation onto PeeJay V

We leave the mouth of the Whakatana River at high tide

Around an hour and a half later we approach White Island, as the sky turns overcast

Disembarkation onto the former working wharf

Our tour guide, Tiffany, talks us through the Island's history

This place stinks!



















The remains of the long-abandoned and now decaying sulphur factory



Two hours later it's time to get back to the mainland





Goodbye White Island.
--------------------------------------------------

So I think I will indeed stay a third night here in Whakatana and catch-up on all my chores.

On Thursday morning (22/02) I shall be up bright and early riding along SH35 around the Raukumara Mountain Range to and beyond New Zealand's most easterly cape. I'm told that the region has a low population, comprising predominantly of Maori people. Apparently it's like stepping back to the 1950s.

I've even heard it referred to as "Bandit Country" .. :o(

So I'm not expecting to see any cathedrals, multi-storey car parks, or chic latte coffee shops along the way around the East Cape! And I don't expect to be plugged into the Internet again until I turn-up at Gisborne, probably at the weekend, which is some 375 km (234 miles) away from here, Whakatana.

No comments: