"Reloaded"



Some spectacular vistas of New Zealand

Some spectacular vistas of New Zealand
These are just a tiny sample of the views I experienced during my last visit to New Zealand in late December '05 and January '06. So it is easy to see why I am drawn back to this beautiful country ...

Monday, March 05, 2007

The Karemea tropical top end Return Run .. then I'm Blackballed

Saturday, March 3rd

Originally founded on the wealth created from mining coal, Westport is now enjoying a resurgence and offers the visitor some charming old buildings set amongst a modern-style one-main-street shopping centre that typifies so many townships around NZ of this size and resident population.

But after a hearty fried breakfast John and I leave Westport and ride northwards to explore the 'no exit' route to the top of the West Coast, namely the remote settlement of Karamea, aka 'The Last Resort'

Once the road to Karamea diverts inland from Summerlea our riding gets very twisty as it follows the lush Mokihinui River valley, before climbing upwards to a height of 420m (1,378 ft) to View Hill Saddle.

After a brief reconnaissance of Karamea and a Whitebait sandwich (a 'first' for me), we return down south the way we came up; it's the only way outta town .. you see.

Soon I spot, what at first view to me, at least, is a forest fire on a clifftop directly ahead of us. But I'm soon assured that it is a 'controlled burn-off'.

Nevertheless, I wonder just how much carbon tax this farm owner would need to pay in just a few years' - or maybe even months' - time?

Further along the way back to Westport, just passed Hector, at Ngakawau, we spot the beachfront house that last night's barman is currently constructing for himself and his family. I recall him saying, "Just where else in the modern world can a mere barman afford to buy the land and build his dream house right alongside the beach?"

Good question.

These will be his views from his veranda when the project is finished.

Not bad .. eh?

Straight through Westport, with just a quick refuelling stop, we head on down southwards towards Greymouth.

John acknowledges a courteous campervan driver who pulls over to let us pass ..

.. as we continue our afternoon's journey



Taking a break at Punakaiki to look and marvel at the ancient pancake limestone rock formations

This is my third brief visit to the West Coast of SI. I had always thought of it as a wild and wet place. How wrong I was?

After a personal refuelling stop (KFC shite 'n chips for John - with buggerall for me as I'm not hungry) and returning 5km (3 miles) north of Greymouth, we turn-off and head off-the-beaten track to visit the little township of Blackball.

This old coal town is set in a time warp where we stopover for the night in the ‘Formerly Blackball Hilton’ hotel, which provided us with extremely motorcycle friendly accommodation and food in the morning.

Goodonyuz both, Pat and Jane .. ;o)

No comments: