"Reloaded"



Some spectacular vistas of New Zealand

Some spectacular vistas of New Zealand
These are just a tiny sample of the views I experienced during my last visit to New Zealand in late December '05 and January '06. So it is easy to see why I am drawn back to this beautiful country ...

Monday, March 05, 2007

The legendary Lewis Pass to .. The leafy spa town of Hanmer Springs

Sunday, 4th February

Under the influence of a reasonably stable high pressure weather system, most of New Zealand has been basking in warm summer sunshine for at least the last two weeks. I hope it continues for another month or so. But this prevalent anti-cyclone system is tending to drift-off north eastwards under the threat of nastier low pressure fronts pushing in from the southwest corner of the country. I hope the 'high' wins the day.

-----------------------------------------

Now it's time for another temporary parting of the ways. John must head south this morning and get back home with his shiny new steed before nightfall. Whereas I must stick to my plan of touring SI in the opposite (clockwise) direction compared to the last occasion when Ellen and I were touring here during mid-January, when we circled in a broad anti-clockwise loop.

So after another hearty full-on fried brekky at the Formerly Blackball Hilton, complete with black pud (JJ's first taste, of which he is approvin') we say our temporary farewells to each other. Then John does indeed head south .. I continue eastwards, on my own and quite content, through the legendary Lewis Pass over the Southern Alps to my next decent and wanted rest break.

It's a fine day to be out riding a motorcycle, with hardly any traffic to be seen. Just me, the humming Trannie and herds of grazing cattle .. with the Southern Alps as our backdrop.

'Why-oh-why isn't the whole world out motorcycling this morning?' - I ask myself.

I traverse through the Alps via the Lewis Pass, with still hardly a car, truck or another motorbike to be seen .. anywhere

.. 'tis their loss

The end is in sight. I decide to call it a day, quite early on for me (tis around 1:00pm) at the leafy spa town of Hanmer Springs. This tourist town is located around 10km (6¼ miles) off my Lewis Pass track. Just right then!

Set amongst exotic forest and oak trees, the healing properties of the naturally occurring thermal pools are world renowned.

Besides, I need to catch-up on me laundry .. and stuff! ..

.. and they sure do know how to pattern the froth on a cuppa coffee here!

The weather outlook. My current location, at Hanmer Springs, is annotated and marked for ease of reference

The journey around South Island, so far

No comments: